Monday, April 6, 2015

Tell It to the Trees: But Only to Them

Dear readers,

I’ve really been keeping up with the reading duty, and the book I am writing about today is one of the best I’ve ever read. It’s not my most recent one, but I do want to tell you about it while it’s still fresh in my mind.

Tell it to the Trees, by Anita Rau Badami is something different from what I have read before. I preferred not to read the back of the book, so really I had no idea what would it even be about. Like my previous read, the story takes place in Canada, in the household of an Indian family, but is has nothing to do with Everything was Goodbye, by Singh Karan.


The Dharma family is one with lots of stories and secrets, in which every member does everything for the family and anything to keep appearances and a clean name. Vikram’s first wife dies, and left with a daughter, he goes to India looking for a new one. He finds Suman, who will never be close to what his dead wife was. Their marriage quickly turns into nothing on a personal level, and if there were ever any feelings, they completely vanish, leaving room for violence, obedience and fear. Vikram’s children, Varsha and Hemant are the centre of attention in this book, and then there’s also Vikram’s mother - being old and sick, she spends her days telling stories and giving advice.

Having lost her mother at a fragile age, you can tell that Varsha is not like other kids.

She has become obsessed with keeping her family together, and never letting Suman leave. She loves her family, she loves her little brother Hemant, but she is definitely different. Possessive and jealous, Varsha even has some sort of meanness in her. But when Anu Krishnan, a tenant in the Dharmas’ cabin, shows up in the picture, that’s when Varsha feels threatened. Anu brings a sense of peace and companionship in the family, but certainly not to the girl.

This book was written with such a clarity and easiness, that I pretty much just fell in love with it. But it’s got something that not everyone might like: every chapter is told from the point of view of a different character, and they each tell their own story. You may think it’s confusing and hard to keep up with the details, but it’s really not. Also, the moment you think you know something, Badami proves you don’t. She is so good at surprising you, and so good at illustrating the character. She makes them feel so real...

And Varsha...oh Varsha! You just never stop asking 'What is wrong with this girl?!'

(click on photo to enlarge)
   Anita Rau Badamiwww.anitaraubadami.ca/

I hope you get to read this book. Despite its dark theme, it’s such a refreshing read, and that just because the way it’s written. I recommend it 100% and I really wish I could discuss this book with you, guys. So let me know if you've read it, or if you will. I’d love to hear other opinions and perspectives on this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment